Franz Mushroom Sauce and Bratwurst
"Fall is around the corner and Franz is here to greet it. A new recipe with a crowd favorite, this easy to make mushroom gravy and bratwurst will put you in the Oktoberfest mood!"-Chef Christian Gill
Mushroom Sauce Ingredients:
- 1 can of Rhinegeist Franz
- 1 cup of sliced cremini mushrooms
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1 tablespoon of fresh curly parsley
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon of coarse ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon of unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon of flour
This is crazy easy and full of German flavor!
Mushroom Sauce Instructions:
- In a medium skillet melt your butter and sauté your diced onions and pepper for 1 minute.
- Lightly sprinkle the flour over your onions and peppers and toss to coat.
- Once the flour coats the vegetables and the butter is absorbed, crack open the Franz, take a swig, then slowly whisk in the can of Franz.
- Make sure all the flour dissolves, then bring to a boil.
- Add bouillon cubes and mushrooms. Stir frequently while bringing back to a gentle boil.
- Turn heat to low and let it simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add parsley and pepper. Salt to taste if needed.
- Pour over your favorite Wurst and potatoes!
Now for the recipe of potatoes and pan seared bratwurst.
Potatoes and Bratwurst Ingredients:
- 1 pound of fresh bratwurst
- 1 cup of Rhinegeist Franz
- 7 medium sized red skin potatoes quartered
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon of minced chives
Potatoes and Bratwurst Instructions:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Toss your red skin quarters in chives, 3 tablespoons of olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Spread evenly on a cookie sheet and roast for 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Take this time to make the Franz Mushroom sauce (above) and brats!
- Bring the cup of Franz to a boil in a medium saucepan.
- Add brats and gently boil for 15 minutes.
- In a medium skillet heat one tablespoon of olive oil.
- Drain the brats from the Franz, and add to hot skillet.
- Pan sear on medium-high for 1 minute per side.
Pair with Brussels sprouts, or whatever your favorite greens are, and feast!