Chef Christian Gill is a Cincinnati-based chef and long-time Rhinegeist amigo who loves cooking with beer. Catch Christian on your TV screen on Guy's Big Project, airing Sunday nights at 9pm on the Food Network.
Panther Roast Beast
- 4-6lb Chuck Bottom Round
Roast Beast Dry Rub
- 2 tsp ground serrano chili powder
- 1 tbsp black pepper
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 can of Panther
- 2 medium onions (julienned)
- 2 cups of beef stock
- 1 tbsp flour
- 2 sprigs of rosemary
- 3 sprigs of thyme
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tbsp cacao nibs
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Olive oil
- Dutch Oven
- Medium skillet
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Remove chuck bottom round from store/butcher packaging and rinse excess blood off. Pat dry with a paper towel and place on clean cutting board or in a large bowl.
- Combine Roast Beast spices (salt, pepper, ground serrano chili powder, garlic powder) in bowl with chuck round and rub evenly all over. Set aside for ten minutes.
- Peel onions and julienne.
- In a medium skillet, heat two tbsp of olive oil. Add onions, cocoa nibs to skillet and 1/2 tsp of salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle flour into onions. Coat onions in flour and let the onions, oil, and flour mixture thicken for one minute.
- Stir in 1 cup of Panther and reduce heat to medium low.
- Let onions reduce and caramelize for 15 minutes stirring occasionally. As onions reduce, slowly incorporate beef stock 1/2 a cup at a time until onions thicken and you have used all 2 cups.
- Reduce heat to simmer onion/Panther mixture. Drizzle tsp of honey in and continue to simmer for five minutes.
- Cover, turn heat off and set aside until Roast Beast is done (directions below!). Bring back to a quick boil before slathering on roast beast!
- Heat 2 tbsp of olive oil in Dutch Oven and, once hot, add rubbed chuck round.
- Allow chuck round to sear on each side for at least a minute and a half. You want a nice crispy crust on each side with the dry rub still intact.
- Once all sides have been seared including the ends, crack open a Panther and add a splash to the Dutch Oven along with rosemary and thyme sprigs.
- Cover with lid and place in oven on the center rack. Continue to roast in the oven for 30 minutes or until the thickest part of the chuck round reaches an internal temperature of 130 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Remove from oven and remove the lid. Let Roast beast rest for ten minutes before slicing. Serve Panther caramelized onions over sliced Roast Beast for a delectable holiday feast!